Monday, October 5, 2009

Jesus loves the little children...

Perhaps it is because a lot of our friends have started their families or maybe it is because I myself have the baby bug, but I've been thinking about how Danial and I will raise our little ones (once we finally start trying).

I was raised Christian, going to Sunday school and church every Sunday. Weird because I remember being "dropped off". I don't recall my mom and dad staying for Sunday school. Weird. I wonder what they did while I was at church... Gross, I don't even want to think about that.

Anyway, while I was raised Christian and continued to go to church will friends up until 8th grade, I don't currently attend church. I still believe in God of course, but I just don't go to church. Maybe its because I had bad "church" experiences in high school, but "organized religion" has never really been my thing. I try to remember my religious learning, combined with what I feel is right to live the best life I know how. This has worked so far in my 25 years, only a few minor slip ups. Now...I realize that this works for me. Will it work for my kids? Should belief and religion just "work"? I'm not sure. For a few weeks now I feel like I should go back to church. I'm not sure where to go. I know I wouldn't fit in with soccer moms and old folks, but it’s that what church is?

Anyway...my point is...how will our kids know what they believe if we don't show them what is out there? I believe in God, I believe in heaven and hell and I do believe that if you don't try to live the best life you know how and feel bad for the bad things you do, you will go to hell (wow that is a tiny nut shell). But...the reason I believe in all these things is partly because I grew up in church, I read the Bible. I was able to build my life on a little bit of religious framework.

I feel like I want our kids to grow up believing in God. I think it’s important to believe in something bigger than you. To know that things happen for a reason. I think it’s also important to believe in heaven and hell for the time that death enters your life. Not only for when your time comes, but for when family members and pets go. I do believe that when we die, our spirits go on. Without God in my life, in the background there...I'm not sure I would believe this. I don't want our kids to live life and live losing without this knowledge.

Where the sticky part comes in is that Danial doesn't believe in God an doesn’t want to step foot in a church.
I know we have tons of time to figure this all out, but I had to get this off my chest. I feel better now. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails