Saturday, February 27, 2010

Susie Homemaker

There is something about a piping hot bowl of soup and a grilled cheese sandwich on a cold winter’s day. And since I do live in Ohio, there have been plenty of cold winter days lately. To cope with the weather, I have been cooking up soups, stews, and chilis and one my favorites is also one of the easiest to make: Butternut Squash Soup.

I found the original recipe from Food Network and have altered it slightly.
Here is MY recipe for Butternut Squash Soup:
Ingredients
1 butternut squash, peeled and seeded (peeling the squash is the hardest part of the recipe)
1 tablespoon garlic
2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
4-6 cups of chicken or vegetable stock
Nutmeg
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Directions
Peel squash and cut into 1-inch chucks. In large pot heat olive oil and add onion and garlic. Cook onions until translucent, 8-10 minutes. Add squash and stock and heat to a “rolling simmer”. I like to go until boiling to speed the process up, but if you are a “take your time” cook, then certainly…take your time.

 
I like to stab the squash with a fork to see if it is tender enough. Once the squash falls of my fork, I move the chunks of squash from the pot with a slotted spoon and place a food processor. Pulse and blend until squash is a smooth puree. (You may have to add some of the cooking liquid to the mix to help the blending process.) Mix the blended squash with the cooking liquid. At this point, personal preference comes into the mix. I prefer my soup to be on the thick side, if you like more “soupy” soup, add more liquid. Stir and season with nutmeg, salt and pepper. JUST A LITTLE NUTMEG, anything more than a little it probably will be inedible.
I like to serve with grilled baby Swiss cheese sandwiches on whole wheat or crusty bread. For crusty bread, I use this easy recipe from Heart of Light.

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails