Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Mornings...

The mornings are difficult. Very difficult. Especially on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
You see...Dan's new schedule allows him to be off work on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. This means when we hear "thud, thud, thud, thud, thud, thud" against the foot of our bed, it is me who must get up to take Ferguson outside. (The "thud" is created by Fergus' large strong tail beating against the bed.  He has a crazy internal rhythm and can keep a beat like Dave Grohl.)  If I don't jump out of bed to match his enthusiasm he paces back and forth from my side of the bed to Danial’s. During his paces, Fergus thrusts his giant head into the bed and tries to rub noses with us. It’s a combination of doggie Eskimo kisses and snorting. Lovely.
It usually takes a couple of dog trips around our bed before I find my glasses and fall out of bed. When I turn on the lights in the living room, it means “game on” to Fergus. He starts digging in his toy basket and old socks, stuffed animals, and tog-o-war rope start flying around the room.
I love the way his metal dog dish sounds when I dump one cup of precisely measured dog food in his dish. (Remember the doggie diet; well…it is still going strong.) After some fresh water, Fergus heads to the door. I love the way his hears flap in the wind as he doggie dives off the front porch. I just imagine that he is thinking “weeeeeeeeeee” as he jumps.
He has to relieve himself on at least two trees and one boxwood bush before he thinks about going inside. Once inside he has some more dog food and a couple of slurps of water and then that stubborn, stinky dog GOES BACK TO SLEEP! He walks slowly back into the master bedroom and leaps into bed with Danial. Those two snuggle under the covers under the mood strikes them to get up.
I hate them both in the morning.
Once I am awake I find it impossible to go back to sleep.
After Fergus has made his trip back to bed, I stumble to the coffee maker and brew a pot of coffee. I prefer Folgers French Roast. (I have to make a special trip to Target for this type of coffee because my local grocery store only carries Columbian and I prefer my French Roast. I hope this does not make me a grocery store coffee snob.)
My coffee maker has a setting where I can schedule a brew time. I never use this. One of the reasons I bought this coffee maker, aside from its good looks, was this timed brew option. I should start using this. How nice would it be to drink coffee WHILE taking Fergus outside?
I eat the same thing every morning. One might think that I am boring, but I like to think that I am consistent. I eat ½ cup of old fashioned oats (made with skim milk) with one banana cut up into the oatmeal. In addition to the banana, I throw in a couple of almonds and either a handful of blueberries or raisins (whichever I have on hand) and then top with a sprinkle of cinnamon. I call it “everything but the kitchen sink oatmeal.” I didn’t realize that this boring breakfast we so good for me.
(courtesy of cookingagogo.com)
The fun at ends at breakfast as I either head to the gym or starting getting ready for work.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails