Wednesday, June 23, 2010

First Impressions

Dan and I bought our house in March of 2008 and since we've moved in, we haven't done anything to the outisde of our house.  (Honestly we are probably "those people" in our neighborhood.)  Just to clarify, our house and/or yard isn't dilapidated or run down by any means, it just doesn't have the WOW FACTOR.  Well...watch out nosey neighbors, "those people" have found some motivation!
In a few weeks Danial and I will be installing some landscape bricks similar to these (but in grey).  In addition to these new bricks, we are actually going to plant something in our yard.  I say "something" because I'm not really a flower person.  I'm not a flower person because I usually kill them right away and I'd rather be known as "those people" rather than "the flower killer". 
I am also planning, during our WOW FACTOR INSTALLATION, to paint our front door.  Danial is not on board with this plan.  FYI our house is a one-story ranch with black shutters on our front windows and a black door.
(Minimal Influence house, decoatred for Autumn 2008)
For the record, we no longer have those cheap Ikea chairs (we do have them, just not on our front porch).  Instead we have some adirondack chairs, an outdoor rug, and a green table.  Those tiny little bushes we planted aren't much bigger now.  They will probably be going to the little dirt patch in the sky soon.
Anyway, back to my inspiration.  I want to paint my front door YELLOW.  See inspiration below and then tell me if I'm crazy, because Danial thinks I am.
1) Before and After, from Apartment Therapy.  The front door here started off rose pink, then they painted the shutters black and front door yellow.
2) Simply Yellow found at Herman's Aluminum.
3) Martha knows best.  (Perhaps this will be my argument with Danial), Real Simple.
4) 3 Yellow doors, from Apartment Therapy.
Would it be wrong to paint the door while Dan is at work?  SURPRISE!  Hmm...maybe not.

3 comments:

  1. haha I say go for it! who wouldn't want to come home to such a cheery entrance?

    http://diyainherstilettos.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there! Just found your blog... I am looooving the yellow door. I like the paler yellow best, I think. Also, I always thought of myself as a flower killer--until this year. I planted a garden and water it on days when it doesn't rain and that's it. Lately, my garden is making me look good. It feels like an accomplishment. DO IT. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree! I think we are going to do the yellow door. I mean...what is the worst that will happen? We have to paint over it... And yes, I think we are going to plant some flowers. I already have some hens & chickens growing and so far (fingers crossed) I haven't killed them.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails