Every year I create "New Years Resolutions." Last year I even wrote these down and posted them in the kitchen. Instead of providing encouragement and inspiration the poster served as nothing but a nagging reminder of how pathetic my self control and will power is. I ripped said poster in shreds by February 1st.
This year there will be no condescending poster, no "resolutions". Instead, I am creating "2011's 11 Goals". Somehow I think by calling them goals, I won't be so hard on myself if by April I haven't reached by goals. Goals are flexible and forgiving, resolutions...they just aren't.
Without further delay, here are my 11 goals:
1) Entertain friends and family at our home more often.
2) Cook more meals (frozen pizza does not count).
3) Make time for myself: read books for fun, reward myself for hard work, spend quiet time alone, decompress more.
4) Be good to my body. Not only because I am vain (like most everyone else), but because it is the right thing to do. Danial and I plan to make babies sometime in the next decade and I want this body to be in tip-top baby producing shape. Until then, I would like to look as good as I can in my skinny jeans and in my wedding dress.
5) Pick up the phone more. Texting has started to rule our world, but it doesn't have to. I promise that in the new year, rather than texting, I will press "send" and have a conversation with friends and family rather than attempting conversations in 160 characters or less.
6) Get married and have a great marriage. In short, I don't want to get sucked into the wedding "day" I want to get immersed in a marriage. So far, so good. I just want to do the damn thing already! I can't wait to be a Mrs.
7) Give back to the community.
8) Do more with less. This year I am going to participate in Kendi's 30 for 30 challenge. I currently buy about 30-40% of my clothing at thrift stores. However, I do agree with the philosophy that creativity is born through limitations. Watch out world (and co-workers), I'm about to wear the same three pairs of pants for 30 days.
9) Get outside of my comfort zone. 2011 is already holding a lot of new things: marriage and a second degree. I want 2011 to be the year of "new". I am going to try new foods, new experiences, new music, new friends, etc. I know that I may not like some of things I try, but at least I can say that I gathered the courage to try.
10) Explore more. (This sort of goes along with #9, but since it involves traveling, I'm giving it its own number.) Ohio has a lot to offer and in 2011 I plan to get out and see it all. I want to explore tiny towns and find some gems in the big city.
11) Capture life more. Danial and I have tons of pictures from the early years of our relationship, not nearly as much from the last few years. 2011 is going to be the year I start to capture my life in flim and paper. I want to keep track of experiences and people in my life.
What are your goals for 2011. Did you reach any goals in 2010?